[CentOS] unprivileged users rebooting at console

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun May 5 20:31:13 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 08:20:31AM +1200, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> How are you rebooting? What groups are you in? From the command line? When
> I try this on Ubuntu (don't have a RHEL/CentOS here) I get "Have to be
> root" if I issue the /sbin/reboot command as an ordinary user.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Please try not to top post.

Ubuntu and Debian require authorization to reboot.  RedHat based
distributions don't under various circumstances.

I don't know what most other distributions do, the BSDs don't allow it, nor
does ArchLinux.

Whether it's something that's always been this way or just one more
Fedora-ism aimed at the person fleeing Windows that made its way into RH, I
have no idea.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6