[CentOS] Need a Centos 6 USB hard drive recovery procedure

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri May 10 17:04:01 UTC 2013

Rock wrote:
> On Thu, 09 May 2013 18:53:30 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
>
>> Is it already "putting" your files somewhere?  If so it's almost
>> certainly too late to throw a linux recovery tool at it.
>
> Nothing, to my knowledge, is being written to the external NTFS
> USB hard drive.
>
> The files are being put on the C:\ drive of the Windows machine.
>
> So, I don't see why the USB drive isn't in the same shape as it
> was when this happened.
>
> Did I do something wrong?

Yes. What you should have done was buy or burn (ON ANOTHER MACHINE!!!) a
virus checking/cleaning tool, and ->boot from that<-, NOT from your h/d,
and let it work. Dunno if you missed my earlier post, but I'd guess that
whatever infected your system had a protection mechanism, so that if you
tried to backup the whole drive, it would mangle something on the
recipient drive, so that *it* couldn't be examined easily.

      mark