[CentOS] Need a Centos 6 USB hard drive recovery procedure

Rock Rocksockdoc at gmail.com
Fri May 10 18:02:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 17:27:34 +0000, Rock wrote:

> And, I did google for the solution for a corrupt disk and I did follow
> Microsoft Support instructions.
>  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176646
>
> Of course, in hindsight, I *should* have run a dd first ... but I had
> not expected the chkdsk to damage anything so I hadn't gone to the
> trouble. Lesson learned!

In hindsight, I should *not* have followed Microsoft instructions.
I should have made a 'dd' of the hard drive from Centos.
And, I should have booted the Windows machine to Knoppix to make
the backup of the C:\data hierarchy from there. f

Lessons learned...

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to rebuild the Master
File Table of the USB NTFS disk from Centos 6.

Any suggestions on how to just rebuild the MFT?