[CentOS] device in use after a reboot

sebastian

centos at secretusenet.com
Fri May 17 09:22:17 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a server with an 17tb scsi-storage. In past, the storage has a
"jfs"-filesystem. Now i want to create a "ext4"-filesystem. I have
update the e2fsprogs from 1.41 to 1.42 (16tb limit >1.41).

Now I have an 17tb-storage as /dev/sda1 with ext4. I can mount this
device as /home/ (/etc/fstab "/dev/sda1    /home/    ext4 defaults   1
2". Now I start a e2fschk /dev/sda1 (umounted). No error-messages are in
the screen.

If I now reboot the server, the server does not started:

<---//
Checking filesystems
/dev/md2: clean, .....
/dev/md0: clean, .....
/dev/sda1 is in use.
e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
//--->

I think thats can be a problem with the e2fsprogs 1.42, now i reinstall
the server with the default e2fsprogs 1.41 from CentOS 6.4 and create
only a 16tb /dev/sda1 partition with ext4. But if i start a "e2fschk
/dev/sda1" and reboot the server, i have the same message in the
boot-screen and the server does not boot.

Why the system thinks that the device still be in use? How can i change
this?

Thanks Sebastian