[CentOS] Changing disk UUID after cloning

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at mac.com
Wed May 22 22:29:24 UTC 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 22.05.2013 21:58, schrieb Glenn Eychaner:
>> So, I have a CentOS 6 system, and I want to make several clones of it.  I'm using Clonezilla to clone the drives; that's no problem.  But the drive UUIDs are driving me up the wall. After cloning, the two drives have the same UUID, but I'd like each clone to have different UUIDs so there's no possibility of a conflict when I am running diagnostics with two drives installed, etc. But when I change the UUID of the /boot or / partition (even if I update /etc/fstab), the system won't boot; it GRUBs OK (after I use recovery mode to rerun grub-install), but never gets to the 'Welcome to CentOS " message.  Do I need to "rebless" vmlinuz or initrd or initramfs in the /boot partition if I change the drive UUID?
>
> for the inital boot /etc/fstab is *irrelevant*
> logical thinking: if it can read it the partition is already mounted
>
> * at least GRUB config contains a line like "root=UUID=b935b5db-0051-4f7f-83ac-6a6651fe0988"

Not on my system; CentOS 6 uses grub 0.97, and my grub.conf file doesn't contain any UUIDs that I can find.

> * dracut / initramfs contains at least the UUID for /boot
> * did yiou try "dracut -f" after the changes?

That's probably the problem; I will make another attempt in the morning, if I decide that I care.  I may simply decide that I don't care if I have duplicated UUIDs between workstations, if it becomes too much trouble to fix.  :-)

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory