[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri May 24 03:40:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:47:26PM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2013-05-24, Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, [url=http://androidforums.com/computers/499522-looking-
> > linux-file-transfer-tool-android-4-0-devices.html]Google has apparently
> > disabled USB transfer in the Android OS 4.0[/url] and above and replaced
> > it with MTP file transfer.
> >
> > So Windows recognizes any ICS device plugged in, and Mac does too (via
> > Android File Transfer);  but Centos does not.
>
> That's a bug in Android (or perhaps just your device, since on that
> thread other users report ICS does support USB mass storage), not
> CentOS.  I understand that's not helpful to you, but it's good to be
> clear.

As someone who looked into this after getting the Galaxy SIII.

It does NOT support USB mass storage.  I have forgotten the logic, but this
is definitely the case.

Ah, here's one quick link explaining it.  (Quote from an Android engineer
about a quarter of the page down.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-feature-mtp-what-it-why-use-it-and-how-set-it

On more current distributions, that is, just about everything but RHEL6 and
clones, one can install a version of mtpfs, simple-mtpfs on Fedora, for
example, jmtpfs on Arch, and get it to work.

I believe it also works with any Virtual Machine that supports USB, but as
I have an easily accessible desktop with ArchLinux, I haven't tested that.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6