[CentOS] Backup of large filesystems >500GB

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue May 28 18:01:32 UTC 2013

On 5/27/2013 11:13 AM, Mike Watson wrote:
>   One
> filesystem is very large, >500GB, and contains numerous large files:
> SQL, docs, church libraries in ebook and digital form, plus stored
> videos of church services.

note that SQL database files generally can't be backed up safely while
the SQL database server is active.   either take a 'dump' or whatever
backup of the database, and backup that dump rather than the raw SQL
files, or stop the SQL service before making the backup, then restart it
afterwards.     Details vary per SQL server, of course.

what would work really well for your general backup requirements,
ignoring the above issue, is BackupPC.  build an onsite backupPC server
with a file system sufficiently large to hold all backups you want kept
online (I generally do 2 weeks of incrementals), and setup BackupPC
archiving to move copies of completed backups to an offsite repository
for disaster recovery.