[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Fri May 24 02:24:12 UTC 2013
Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com>

SUMMARY:
Maybe this all boils down to "how do we debug when Java fails on Centos 6?

DETAILS:
If you don't have the Samsung Galaxy S3, then you might not realize how
frustratingly difficult it is to transfer multiple files from the
smartphone to Centos 6.

It should be as simple as hooking up a USB cable and dragging and
dropping (which it is, on most other smartphones, including the Samsung
Galaxy S2, which has USBMS mode still intact).

Note: I don't have a microUSB card, so that isn't an option and I have no
desire to transfer the personal photos to the cloud just to get them from
the phone to Centos, nor to install Wine and/or a virtuoal OS just to do
something as simple as transfer files.

On the Samsung Galaxy S3, you can go all day to Settings->More Settings->
but there is nothing for "USB" anywhere anymore.

Unfortunately, [url=http://androidforums.com/computers/499522-looking-
linux-file-transfer-tool-android-4-0-devices.html]Google has apparently
disabled USB transfer in the Android OS 4.0[/url] and above and replaced
it with MTP file transfer.

So Windows recognizes any ICS device plugged in, and Mac does too (via
Android File Transfer);  but Centos does not.

Anyway, [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
topic_id=39977&forum=57&post_id=182904#forumpost182904]the workaround[/
url], is to use Kies Air to transfer the files over the air via WiFi from
the phone to the Centos PC. This works - but that brings up the problem
of [b]multiple[/b] files.

The Kies Air gui for transferring multiple files at once is trivial (you
just check "all files"); but it doesn't work.
There is no error message. There are no warnings. There are no
indications whatsoever; it just doesn't transfer anything.
If you use the exact same procedure to transfer a single file, it works
just fine.

Googling for "Kies air won't download multiple files", I find a bazillion
others have this problem - but most answers simply say to "install Java"
on the host PC.

For example:
 http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIESAIR/JSP
 Q: I cannot send multiple files at once
 A: Need to install Java – downloadable from the Java homepage
(www.java.com ) in order to transfer multiple files at once or to upload
a file over 100MB.

So maybe this whole frustrating task of downloading multiple files from
the smartphone to Centos hinges on debugging Java.
Here's where I'm lost though. I know nothing about Java.
What does "install Java" mean for Centos 6? Is that icedtea?
[b]Q: How can I get an error message if icedtea isn't working when I try
to transfer multiple files via Kies Air?[/b]

[img]http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/13140568/640/13140568.png[/img]