[CentOS] dual head on centos 5 and ancient Nvidia Quadro NVS280SD card

Tue May 7 20:08:19 UTC 2013
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 03:09:13PM -0400, Ross Walker wrote:
> > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Centos 5
> particularly
> > >>

> > > Dual head or dual monitor?
> > >
> > > Dual head typically means running two instances of X, one on each video
> > > out, which can only be done with two or more graphic cards from what I
> can
> > > gather.
>
> hmm. good point.

Sounds good, right? Don't listen to me though I talk through my wazoo.

Multi-Head and Multi-Monitor are synonymous (I actually looked it up after
posting).

> >> It's a HP workstation xw4100, with Nvidia Quadro NVS280SD graphics
> card.
> be

> driver
> install

> driver
> result.

> their

> so I
> action
> with
> knows

> > > In my experience I was able to drive both the DisplayPort and DVI (or
> HDMI
> > > and VGA) interfaces off my card to give me dual monitor support.
> > >
> > > To setup the monitor preference I just created a monitors.conf file in
> > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d as such:
> > >
> > > Section "Monitor"
> > >         Identifier      "HDMI1"
> > >         Option          "Primary"       "true"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "Monitor"
> > >         Identifier      "VGA1"
> > >         Option          "RightOf"       "HDMI1"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Substitute the Identifier for whatever 'xrandr' gives you, and use
> LeftOf
> > > if you secondary monitor is left of your primary.
> > >

> > Nevermind, I am not paying attention here, my setup is C6 with Intel.
>
> This is strange...
>
> xrandr (on C5) only shows one monitor even though two are connected

Sounds like the support for your nvidia in C5 doesn't include multiple
monitors.

> Booting up a Fedora 17 live CD, automatically configures for a single
> desktop spread across both monitors, AND xrandr shows both monitors. This
> makes me think that the hardware supports what I was seeking but C5
> doesn't.
>
> So, some more poking around, and I discover that Nvidia supports "Twinview"
> which actually works on C5, giving me a single desktop spread across both
> displays. According to the Nvidia readme, it fools X into thinking it has
> only
> one monitor, and it does seem to work.
>
> While I think I might like two separate desktops, it doesn't look like
> it's likely to be possible with the system I have, so I'll manage with
> what I've got, I think.

Twinview is going to be your best bet, but spanning desktops instead
of independent.

You can always upgrade to C6 to get independent desktops, composing and all
that jazz.

-Ross