[CentOS] Looking for a CentOS-friendly online backup company

Fri May 10 19:30:22 UTC 2013
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 05/10/2013 02:50 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.05.2013 20:46, schrieb Digimer:
>> We've got a lot of customers running CentOS 5 and 6 servers. We've
>> been asked by many to provide backup, which is something we don't want
>> to do in house. So we started looking for backup companies to partner
>> with. The problem is that the ones we've found who support RHEL won't
>> support CentOS
>
> what needs to be "supported" - CentOS is *binary compatible*
>
> what sorts of "backup"
> a backup can be anything, data, OS-images, snapshots, rsync....
>
> if it is only *data* simply setup a SAN storage with a virtual
> machine per customer and stup rsnapshot at your own, if it
> is not liked inhouse rent a rack whereever

I know that it's binary compatible and that the software that works for
RHEL will work for CentOS. What I mean by "supported" is a company who
will see the host OS is CentOS and not throw up their hands and say
"sorry, not supported!".

My fear is that, a year from now, something will go wrong and the
company we choose won't help us. We're not a backup company and we have
no interest in becoming one, either. So we want to find a company to
partner with who will see "CentOS" and still help us. So in short, this
is a political, not technical question.

As for what to backup; We're just looking for application data backup,
not OS data.

--
Digimer
access to education?