[CentOS] Best configuration for encrypted software RAID 1?

Wed May 15 16:25:39 UTC 2013
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 05/15/2013 12:22 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:
> I'm setting up a computer with CentOS 6.4 and a mirrored software
> RAID. I would like it to be encrypted so I was wondering what the best
> configuration is. The only info I could find is
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-docs/2008-October/001912.html
> but it appears to be a bit old and the info on the wiki (
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/EncryptTmpSwapHome ) doesn't seem to
> address RAIDs.
>
> My main question is will it be better to encrypt the RAID itself or
> the two partitions used by the RAID? Any other things I should be
> aware of?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

This depends on your use-case. Personally, I want my servers to be able
to boot headless, so I leave /boot, <swap> and / unencrypted, RAID or
not. Then I encrypt the LV (or partition) I am going to put data I care
about on. I don't think there is any benefit to encrypting the
partitions behind the MD device as it won't be able to form until you
decrypt the devices. I'd keep crypt on the resulting /dev/mdX, at the
lowest.

Again, it depends on your use-case.

--
Digimer