[CentOS] Cannot get Centrino N 6200 wireless NIC to work Cento 6.4

Thu May 16 20:30:31 UTC 2013
Cal Webster <cwebster at ec.rr.com>

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 16:16 -0400, Selwyn Schultz Sr wrote:
> I am very new to installing Linux on laptops.  I got it working on another
> Toshiba I owned without to much trouble, and then decided I wanted to
> experiment with KVM so I bought this laptop with an I5 chip.
>
> Anyway I tried modprobe iwlagn and the driver is not found.  I then did a
> search for it using find and again came up empty handed.  Googling for
> Centos iwlagn seems to indicate that the module is a standard part of the
> Centos 6 build.  But I seem to be missing this on my installation.  I will
> do a fresh installation and see if that does not install the module.

Before you do that, try searching the yum repo. I came up with a number of hits:

[root at INET1 ~]# yum search iwlagn
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
epel/metalink                                            |  13 kB
00:00
 * base: centos.mirror.constant.com
 * epel: archive.linux.duke.edu
 * extras: centos.aol.com
 * updates: dist1.800hosting.com
adobe-linux-i386                                         |  951 B
00:00
adobe-linux-x86_64                                       |  951 B
00:00
base                                                     | 3.7 kB
00:00
extras                                                   | 3.5 kB
00:00
google-chrome                                            |  951 B
00:00
updates                                                  | 3.5 kB
00:00
=============================== Matched: iwlagn
================================
iwl100-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 100
Series
                       : Adapters
iwl1000-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel® PRO/Wireless 1000 B/G/N
network
                        : adaptors
iwl5150-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel® Wireless 5150 A/G/N
network
                        : adaptors
iwl6000-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 6000
Series
                        : AGN Adapter
iwl6000g2a-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link
6005
                           : Series Adapters
iwl6000g2b-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link
6030
                           : Series Adapters
iwl6050-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 6050
Series
                        : Adapters
[root at INET1 ~]#

Also, be sure that your radio is enabled in BIOS and after boot, once
you have the proper packages installed. If the wifi indicator is not lit
it may be disabled. Most laptops have a function key sequence to
enable/disable wifi/bluetooth. You may need to toggle this to get your
wifi radio to turn on.