[CentOS] Missing printer driver [SOLVED]

Fri May 17 02:02:25 UTC 2013
Steve Blackwell <zephod at cfl.rr.com>

On Thu, 16 May 2013 10:22:35 +0200
 Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 05/16/2013 08:50 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> > Steve Blackwell wrote:

> >> # yum list tcp_wrappers-libs --showduplicates
> >> --disableplugin=*priorities* Loaded plugins: fastestmirror,
> >> refresh-packagekit, security No plugin match for: *priorities*
> >>    * base: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
> >>    * centosplus: centos.netnitco.net
> >>    * contrib: mirror.raystedman.net
> >>    * epel: mirror.hiwaay.net
> >>    * extras: mirror.beyondhosting.net
> >>    * remi: remi-mirror.dedipower.com
> >>    * rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
> >>    * rpmforge-extras: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
> >>    * updates: mirrors-pa.sioru.com
> >> Installed Packages
> >> tcp_wrappers-libs.x86_64       7.6-57.el6.test
> >> @rpmforge-testing Available Packages
> >> tcp_wrappers-libs.i686         7.6-57.el6            base
> >> tcp_wrappers-libs.x86_64       7.6-57.el6            base
> >> tcp_wrappers-libs.x86_64       7.6-57.el6.rfx
> >> rpmforge-extras
> >>
> >> So the problem seems to be the fact that I have the test version
> >> from the rpmforge-testing repo installed. I've tried disabling
> >> that repo and doing an update but no luck. I've tried doing a yum
> >> update of the i686 version but yum says it's available but not
> >> installed. Doing a yum install give me the multi-repo error. Is
> >> there a way to replace one version with anothe?
> > try yum downgrade
> First thing to do is to permanently disable rpmforge-testing and
> rpmforge-extras repos with "enabled=0" in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpm...

I had already permanently disabled the rf tesing repo but I do need the
other rf repos because I use BackupPC which is not in the CentOS base.

I didn't go to the lengths that Ljubomir suggested but I downgraded the
tcp_wrappers-libs then installed the i686 version and then I was able
to install libcanberra.i686 and libcanberra-gtk2.i686 (why does a
printer driver need a portable sound event library anyway?!?)

I was then able to run the Lexmark installer script but it still
failed. Annoyingly, it pops up a "failed" dialog box that only has
one button. When you click the button it kills the app and removes the
text window containing the error messages which scrolled out of view.

I was just able to decipher the bottom half of the last error to figure
out that I needed to install the i686 version of libusb.

Now I have a working printer again. I haven't tested the scanner yet
but I expect it will work.

Thanks,
Steve