[CentOS] OT: Script Help

Sun May 19 00:31:26 UTC 2013
James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com>

On 5/18/2013 3:23 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the off topic, but don't a better resource. I'm not great at
>> scripting, but need a quick script to modify a file.
>>
>> I have a long file that has lines like this:
>>
>> some text
>> some text2
>> CN=DATA.OU=XYZ.O=CO
>> some text3
>> some text4
>>
>> And this repeats, but XYZ changes. "DATA" is always called data. (it's
>> being renamed basically)
>>
>> I need to change the middle line but leave the rest of the file as is
>> like this:
>>
>> some text
>> some text2
>> CN=XYZ_DATA.OU=XYZ.O=CO
>> some text3
>> some text4
>>
>> Anyone know a quick way to do this? Any help is appreciated.
> cat file | sed -e's/CN=DATA.OU=\(.*\)\.O=CO/CN=\1_DATA.OU=\1.O=CO/'
Larry,

Thanks for the answer. Still having trouble making it work. Been looking
at sed for the last two hours. Let me give a specific example of a few
lines I would want to change:

Let's say my original lines are:
CN=DATA.OU=XYZ.O=CO
CN=DATA.OU=XYY.OU=MEM.O=CO
CN=DATA.OU=XZZ.OU=OOP.O=CO

I want them to look like:
CN=XYZ_DATA.OU=XYZ.O=CO
CN=XYY_DATA.OU=XYY.OU=MEM.O=CO
CN=XZZ_DATA.OU=XZZ.OU=OOP.O=CO

So I need to take the data after the FIRST OU and stick in front of DATA
with an _ in between. The rest of the line then remains the same.

Hope it makes sense. Appreciate the help!

Thanks,
James