[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Fri May 24 11:49:46 UTC 2013
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 05/24/2013 05:40 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:47:26PM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
>> On 2013-05-24, Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, [url=http://androidforums.com/computers/499522-looking-
>>> linux-file-transfer-tool-android-4-0-devices.html]Google has apparently
>>> disabled USB transfer in the Android OS 4.0[/url] and above and replaced
>>> it with MTP file transfer.
>>>
>>> So Windows recognizes any ICS device plugged in, and Mac does too (via
>>> Android File Transfer);  but Centos does not.
>> That's a bug in Android (or perhaps just your device, since on that
>> thread other users report ICS does support USB mass storage), not
>> CentOS.  I understand that's not helpful to you, but it's good to be
>> clear.
> As someone who looked into this after getting the Galaxy SIII.
>
> It does NOT support USB mass storage.  I have forgotten the logic, but this
> is definitely the case.
>
> Ah, here's one quick link explaining it.  (Quote from an Android engineer
> about a quarter of the page down.
>
> http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-feature-mtp-what-it-why-use-it-and-how-set-it
>

> On more current distributions, that is, just about everything but RHEL6 and
> clones, one can install a version of mtpfs, simple-mtpfs on Fedora, for
> example, jmtpfs on Arch, and get it to work.
>
> I believe it also works with any Virtual Machine that supports USB, but as
> I have an easily accessible desktop with ArchLinux, I haven't tested that.

Here is SRPMS from Fuduntu,
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/f/fu/fuduntu/sources/mtpfs-1.1-0.3.svn20120510.fu2012.src.rpm

and here is from Fedora 17:
ftp://ftp.icm.edu.pl/vol/rzm2/linux-fedora-secondary/updates/17/SRPMS/simple-mtpfs-0.1-4.fc17.src.rpm

maybe they can be recompiled and added to some repository.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)