[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Fri May 24 15:12:29 UTC 2013
Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com>

On Fri, 24 May 2013 08:03:52 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> I think most people are using cloud storage with the smart phones these days

I understand.

Anyway, here's a summary for the next person with this same problem
(Note: This affects other phones but I don't know which are affected.)

Summary of the current status:
 Connecting the SG S3 by USB cable (fails for every Centos owner)
 Connecting the SG S3 by Kies Air (Java fails for multiple files, no errors!)
 Connecting the SG S3 by AirDroid (Works! Zips up multiple files, slow but OK)
 Connecting the SG S3 by Android FTPServer (suggested, complicated setup)
 Connecting the SG S3 by WiFi File Explorer (didn't work on my 1st test)
 Connecting the SG S3 by WiFi File Transfer (didn't work on my 1st test)
 Connecting the SG S3 by Total Commander for Android (suggested, untested)
 Connecting the SG S3 by WiFi file transfer pro (suggested, untested)
Note: When testing solutions, my general approach is to give each
suggested program a single pass - and if that fails, to then move
on to the next solution. If no solutions work, then I revisit the
prior attempts and implement heroics to get it to work, if needed.

Deprecated approaches which would also work to transfer pictures:
 MicroSD card (shouldn't have to buy storage just to transfer pictures)
 Dropbox or the cloud (shouldn't have to do that just to transfer data)
 Windows/Mac (shouldn't have to give up on your Centos operating system)
 Wine/Emulation/Virtual OS (shouldn't have to give up on native Centos)
 Email them to myself (shouldn't have to do that just to transfer pictures)

< Rant >
Why the Android dev team removed USB file transfer for Linux users is beyond me!
< /Rant >