[CentOS] Failed to create /dev/loop0p* entries for partitions inside loopback devices

Fri May 24 19:08:39 UTC 2013
Gelen James <hahaha_30k at yahoo.com>

Hi Paul and all,

 Thanks for your workaround. I followed exactly with kpartx command, it does works for mkfs when using /dev/mapper/* entries.

 But there is still no /dev/loop0p* entries created. Do you have any ideas why?

 I've tried to use a loopback /dev/loop0 to simulate drive type storage pool for KVM virtualization tests, and so that always fails because no /dev/loop0p* entries created.

 Please shed a light on this. Thanks a lot.

--Robin

________________________________
 From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Failed to create /dev/loop0p* entries for partitions inside loopback devices

On Fri, 24 May 2013, Gelen James wrote:

> centos 6 failed to create entries under /dev for newly created loopback devices. Any one know why? and how to fix/workaround it?
>
> The steps to duplicate is pretty simple
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/deleteme bs=1M count=100
> losetup /dev/loop0 /tmp/deleteme
> fdisk /dev/loop0   ## created partitions 1, 2, etc.
> fdisk -l /dev/loop0  ## confirmed that the partitions do exist

At this point, you need to run "kpartx -a /dev/loop0" (fdisk should have told you so).

> mkfs.ext3 /dev/loop0p1 ## failed here [...]

kpartx drops partitions into /dev/mapper, so the actual invocation would be

  mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/loop0p1

You can also use partprobe instead of kpartx, but I'm not as familiar with its operation.

-- Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W