[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Tue May 28 07:25:57 UTC 2013
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

Rock wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2013 19:27:28 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
>> You should have just used two commands:
>> sudo yum remove vlc
>
> I guess I should have done it this way?
> $ sudo yum remove vlc
> $ sudo yum remove rhythmbox
>
> Or would you have left rhythmbox in place?

no you were right: "sudo yum remove libmtp" was the correct command, yum
removed vlc and rythmbox because they must have a dependency on libmtp.
You could not have kept rythmbox while removing libmtp if rythmox needs
libmtp (except using --force, which you should never use except if you
really know what you're doing).

>> and
>> yum update <libmtp filename>
>> Yum will always install/update local files and deal with missing
>> dependencies.
>
> Are you saying I should run that yum upate of libmtp with the
> libmtp RPM in the same directory? If so, I can run that now.

no need: yum update <localfile.rpm> does the same thing as rpm -Uvh
<localfile.rpm>, except that it installs any deps needed by
localfile.rpm if they are in one of your configured repos. But if that
were the case rpm -Uvh wold have complained about a missing dep and
would have refused to install the rpm.
Another small difference is that yum stores a history of its
transactions (and has some features associated with that), but
installing the odd local package with rpm won't cause any problems AFAIK.

BTW rpm -Uvh and rpm -ivh do the same thing when the package is not
already installed on your system. The difference is that -ivh won't
remove an older version if already present (but you  can't do that with
most packages, and rpm won't let you, since different versions of the
same package will often conflict with one another).

To summarize, you did the right things as far as libmtp is concerned.
Now the issue lies beyond that, probably with gvfs-photo2 as suggested
by Farkas via Ljubomir, but I can't help you much with that. Except
Farkas suggests also rebuilding and installing simple-mtpfs, have you
done that?