[CentOS] 6.4 : How to enable epel and the rpmfusions??

Beartooth

beartooth at comcast.net
Sat Nov 2 21:25:15 UTC 2013

	I've installed 6.4 on an old T30 ThinkPad, and I'm
in the midst of setting it up. I can't seem to get an rpm of Pan for it,
nor even to do yum update.

	Mousing around fedoraproject eventually got me to  http://
rpmfusion.org/Configuration/ and from there to downloads for the free,
nonfree, and epel packages (along with a caveat that tells you -- *after*
you've gotten rpmfusion -- to get epel first :-{ ).

	The display on the T30 has given trouble recently; while it's
working, I tried with packagekit to eliminate the fusions while keeping
epel (actually,EPEL; it seems to matter). Packagekit told me that I had
to remove the repository configurations along with the fusions -- a thing
I'd've done before if I could, whereupon I'd've started over, with EPEL
first.

	I approved that, then tried to refresh my sources in
packagekit in order to get the fusions back. This put me through some
tedious juggling of non-commutative commands.

	At the end of them, despite a lot of fussing with packagekit and
some logging in and out, plus a reboot or two, I was still getting error
messages like these for yum install pan *and* yum update :

[root at T30 ~]# yum install pan
Loaded plugins: aliases, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror, kabi,
presto, refresh-packagekit, security, tmprepo, verify, versionlock
epel/metalink                                            |  14 kB
00:00
 * base: mirrors.serveraxis.net
 * c6-media:
 * centosplus: mirror.es.its.nyu.edu
 * contrib: mirror.raystedman.net
 * epel: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * extras: mirrors.finalasp.com
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * updates: centos.mirrors.tds.net
file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/CentOS/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
file:///media/cdrecorder/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/
read file:///media/cdrecorder/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
file:///media/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read
file:///media/cdrom/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
c6-media. Please verify its path and try again
[root at T30 ~]#

	I should probably mention that, when I launch packagekit, go to
System and then to Software Sources, everything from CentOS-6-Base to
CentOS-6-Updates is already checked *except* the one for media.

	Trying to fix that has been an exercise in futility -- I haven't
found a way to tell it anything to use as c6-media. (It won't accept an x
in the apposite box.) As root, I got to ///media on another machine as
well as on the T30, and both are empty. (The other machine won't install
Pan either; but it does do yum update.)

	Clue, please? Pretty please??

Remember I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.