[CentOS] 3TB disk with 6.0.4 not booting

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:26:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/2013 4:14 PM, James A. Peltier wrote:
> > To boot off of a 3TB disk you require a (U)EFI capable machine which
> supports GPT partitions.  There is no way to boot a disk that is 3TB in
> size using a BIOS based machine.
>
> its a Mac, didn't they use something entirely different for their boot,
> like openboot or something?

Old World Macintosh hardware used OpenFirmware [0] [1].

I had an older hand-me-down PowerMac and XServe that I fiddled with for a
short period of time ... OF is really quite cool.  But machines with
PowerPC CPUs weren't worth the hassle (less than perfect(?) hardware
support, comparatively slow, and not to mention the XServe was super loud!)
for me, so I got rid of them.

It is my understanding OF went away when Apple switched Macs to Intel
hardware.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Firmware
[1] http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_boot.html

> --
> john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> somewhere on the middle of the left coast

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //