[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 5 18:13:42 UTC 2013

On 11/5/2013 7:52 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I don't think that's going to happen. First, we have an in-house developed
> backup system that works just fine. Second, we*are*  backup up something
> over a hundred servers and workstations to a few backup servers. Third, we
> are talking, in some cases, of terabytes....

my backuppc server is doing a couple dozen VM's and physical machines,
linux+solaris+AIX+WindowsServer, I have backups going back to MARCH, and
the whole pool is just a few terabytes, with an effective compression of
like 50:1 due to the amount of duplication in those backups.   the
database server machines run a pre-backup script that either does a
database dump, or a freeze (for instance, postgresql has
pg_start_backup()), then backup whats right, and run a post-backup
script (pg_stop_backup())

its worked remarkably well for me, using a fraction of the disk space
I'd planned for (both primary and mirror backup servers have room for 36
3.5" SAS drives, although they are only stuffed with 20x3TB in raid6+0
configurations)