[CentOS] Running MacOSX as VM under CentOS 5.10?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:21:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> Is it even remotely possible to run MacOSX (or Darwin) as VM under CentOS 5.10
> / xen? Or am I better off not even trying and just getting a MacMini or
> MacBook to just jack into my LAN?  I just need a 'build box' and possibly
> something to do light testing (eg does the program run? Does the GUI come
> up?). I don't really have the *physical* room for an iMac, unless the screen
> is tiny.
>
> I can cross-build for MS-Windows using mgwin32 and I have VMs for CentOS 6,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.  Only MacOSX is missing from the 'mix'.

If someone else is paying, get an imac for your own desktop and run
anything else you need under virtualbox or hook to your work Centos
via NX or X2go.   Or use a mac mini.   OSX likes to do hardware checks
to make sure it is on Apple hardware.   I think virtualbox has some
hooks to make a virtual OSX run under real OSX by passing the hardware
check through to the hardware, but otherwise you will need some kind
of hack to bypass the check that is likely to break with updates.  I
think those hacks exist but I've never been patient enough to get
anything to work.

And if you aren't using it already, you probably want Jenkins to run
all these builds for you.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com