[CentOS] IBM Storwize V3700 storage - device names

Todor Petkov

zakk at online.bg
Thu Nov 7 21:14:03 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have IBM Storwize V3700 storage, connected to 2 IBM x3550 M4 servers
via fiber channel. The servers are with QLogic ISP2532-based 8Gb Fibre
Channel to
PCI Express HBA cards and run Centos 5.10

When I export a volume to the servers, each of them sees the volume
twice, i.e  /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, with the same size.

Previously I have installed many systems with IBM DS3500 series of
storage and the servers see one disk per export. I am using the MPP
drives from this package:
http://support.netapp.com/NOW/public/apbu/oemcp/apbu_lic.cgi/public/apbu/oemcp/09.03.0C05.0652/rdac-LINUX-09.03.0C05.0652-source.tar.gz

I came upon the IBM site, saying to configure multipath (I never did it
for DS3500 series). When I did, a new device came, /dev/dm-7, but my
goal is to have one /dev/sdX type of device and no device mapper. I read
that Storwize support DMP RDAC, and DS support MPP RDAC, but does anyone
else have experience with such setup and can give an advice/hint?

Thanks in advance.