[CentOS] Tuning MySQL - what's the best place for mysqld parameters?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Nov 11 09:48:03 UTC 2013

Am 11.11.2013 10:37, schrieb Alexander Farber:
> Hello CentOS users,
>
> for a Wordpress website I have installed
> mysql-server-5.1.69-1.el6_4.x86_64 and
> run /usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation on
> a CentOS 6.4 machine with mucho RAM (32 GB)
> and I wonder, what would be the best place
> for the mysqld parameters descibed at
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/server-parameters.html
>
> mysqld_safe --key_buffer_size=64M --table_open_cache=256 \
>            --sort_buffer_size=4M --read_buffer_size=1M &
>
> Should I just edit the file /etc/init.d/mysqld or is
> there a better place in CentOS for that (under sysconfig?)

Don't touch the init script. It would get overridden by a future package
update.

/etc/my.cnf is the configuration file where you add all the desired
tuning options. It will not be touched by an update.

For your help the mysql-server package ships with example configurations
for different setups:

/usr/share/mysql/*.cnf

> Thanks
> Alex