[CentOS] Using CentOS Wordpress rpms

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Tue Nov 12 14:44:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013, Keith wrote:
> [...]
>  >
> > I always install from the latest tarball from the WP site, as it's the
> > latest at the time of installation. With regards to WP updates and
> > versions, this is generally performed with it's own built in
> > updating/upgrading mechanism which is the first thing you should check
> > or do after install and on an ongoing basis - IMHO anyway.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> So what are the point of having RPMs if you can't apply it server-wide
> across multiple sites?
>
> MP

Maybe the packages are meant for a different usage pattern than yours?

Packaging anything, but particularly web apps, involves making tradeoffs.
For most people, package defaults provide a basic set of functionality
(which can be adequate for most people), but there are some cases where a
power user might have need to install them with other settings.

Your usage pattern as a hosting provider is on the "power user" end of the
spectrum, and you should probably be using the tar file or even creating
your own custom rpms so you can set it up as you need it.

❧ Brian Mathis