[CentOS] First Time Setting up RAID

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Nov 14 22:20:53 UTC 2013

James B. Byrne wrote:
> On Thu, November 14, 2013 12:51, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 14.11.2013 18:23, schrieb James B. Byrne:
>>> From what I have read it appears that the system disk must use RAID 1
>>> if it uses RAID at all.
>>
> So, this is saying, if I read it aright, that one can have multiple RAID
> arrays spread over the same spindles but each in differing partitions.  Is
> that right?
<snip>
> BTW, I intend to install CentOS-6.4 with software RAID as the eight disks
> are mounted in the system chassis.  As far as I can tell, there is no
hardware
> RAID controller (unless there is one on the MB, in which case SW Raid is
> likely a better choice anyway.

Big question: what manufacturer, and what support chips? Most of our Dells
have PERC 6xx or 7xx, which is good hardware RAID. We have several boxes
with the Intel RAID on chip - aka fakeRAID. They are a *pain*, and we had
them just present unRAIDed drives, and used the very nice to use Linux
software RAID.

       mark