[CentOS] Mysql databases from old system?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:51:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>> I don't know specifically about Mysql but pretty much anything that stores binary
>> representations to disk needs to be converted.
>
> with this logic you would need to convert MS office files
> containing embedded images too....

No, image formats have standardized binary representations so they are
portable.  The problem is with applications that write their own
binary values and data structures to disk without conversion.   I
don't know much about msyql internals, but I wouldn't expect it to go
to the trouble of normalizing things like index files just in case you
wanted to move those disks to a sparc instead of doing a dump/load.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com