[CentOS] Emacs 24 on CentOS 6.4

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Tue Nov 19 00:45:39 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 14:50 -0600, Carson Chittom wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 14:37 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:12:33 -0600
> > Carson Chittom wrote:
> >
> > > While I could, of course, just do the ./configure && make && make
> > > install dance, I don't like having software installed that's not in the
> > > packaging system.  I'd appreciate any pointer to a prepackaged Emacs 24,
> > > or failing that, a good tutorial on how to package software correctly
> > > for CentOS.
> >
> > In some/several cases you can simply recompile the Fedora srpm on your Centos system.
> >
> > I don't know about Emacs, (don't use it myself) but there's nothing lost by trying it.
>
> That's a good idea, which I should have thought of.  :)
>
> I'll give it a whirl and report back for the archives.

After a brief effort, I didn't get it to work.

I downloaded the emacs-24.2 SRPM from Fedora 19.  Trying to compile it
with rpmbuild gave me several errors about missing dependencies.  I was
able to install nearly all of the ones complained about from the CentOS
repositories.  The only one left was liblockfile-devel, so I downloaded
the liblockfile SRPM and compiled and installed it and its -devel
without error.

So I again attempted to compile the emacs-24.2 SRPM, but apparently the
version of autoconf (2.63) in CentOS was too low (the emacs SRPM
expected 2.69), which caused the build to fail.

If anyone's curious, I have placed a log of the build at
http://www.wistly.net/emacs-build.log