[CentOS] Google Chrome

Phelps, Matt mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 22 16:27:26 UTC 2013

Most of us using CentOS/RHEL are in an "e"nterprise environment where
that sort of thing just isn't allowed.

A supported, updated, secured version of chrome/chromium is essential
for our CentOS environment, and I venture to guess many others'
(including RHEL users).

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Chris Beattie <cbeattie at geninfo.com> wrote:
> On 11/21/2013 11:40 AM, Darr247 wrote:
>> On 2013-11-21 @14:41 zulu, Wes James scribed:
>>> It is with the script on this page:
>>>
>>> http://chrome.richardlloyd.org.uk/
>>
>> Be aware some on this list consider that script "criminal."
>
> At what point does it become less hassle to spin up a virtual machine with a distro recent-enough to run the latest Chrome?  Virtualization is a wedge that puts more space between your rocks and your hard places.
>
> Just for kicks, I downloaded a Chromium OS image and had it running in VMware Player in a few minutes.  It wasn't as snappy as a native install, but it was usable.  I could have signed in to Google and picked up my bookmarks if I'd wanted.
>
> Having said that, I don't have any experience with either KVM or kidnapping libraries from other distros.  I don't know which is harder and/or more fun (depends on what you're looking to get out of the experience), but it might be an option.
>
> --
> -Chris

Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility
Harvard - Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu, http://www.cfa.harvard.edu