[CentOS] RAM Requirements

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Nov 24 06:44:37 UTC 2013

On 11/23/2013 12:35 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> Does anyone know where I can look, please post a URL, where I can find
> out what the minimum system requirements are for CentOS 6.4?
>
> I've searched the CentOS.org web site for this but I've come up empty.
> I've got an old machine that had RH9 on it.  The HD died so I had to
> replace that.  Now I'm thinking that I want to install CentOS 6.4 on it
> but the minimal install disk says that I don't have enough RAM for it to
> do the install.

I suppose that I should have asked how much RAM is required to get the
Minimal Install CD to work?

I booted up the Live CD and did the install from there.  The only
problem seemed to be with installing the boot loader.  The Live CD will
not let me boot into rescue mode, and the Minimal Install CD kicks me
out with a message that says there is not enough RAM to install CentOS
on this machine.  That seems strange seeing that it can boot up the Live
CD and do the install from there.  You would think that having the Live
CD system up and running would suck up quite a bit of RAM but still it's
happy to run the install.

I think I could save the install if I could build an new initramfs image
and then install the boot loader along the lines of:
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CreateNewInitrd

where it says:

Boot in Rescue Mode

    Boot from a CentOS installation disc (for example, CD #1 or DVD).

    Type "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt.
    Mount all filesystems in read-write mode.

The only CD images I can find for CentOS are the Live CD and Minimal
Install CD neither of which allows me to boot into a rescue session.
Maybe I could use a CentOS 5 boot disk?  Maybe they have a CD image that
will boot into rescue mode.

Anyway, how much RAM does it take to satisfy the Minimal Install CD?

--
    _
   °v°