[CentOS] partitionless installation

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 17:47:42 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Халезов Иван <i.khalezov at rts.ru> wrote:

> P.S.  At this time my host OS and virtual machines (guests) are ubuntu
> 12.04. Also I want to have some virtual machines running CentOS 6
>
> On 25.11.2013 20:28, Халезов Иван wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > I have a lot of virtual machines with KVM hypervizor. For VM's disks I
> > use LVM Volumes. It's more suitable to install virtual machines direct
> > to the LV-volumes without making partition tables inside the LV.  In
> > this case it is very simple to perform online-resizing and mount
> > snapshots in host system to perform backups.
> >
> > So, my question is:
> >
> > Is it possible to install CentOS 6 without disk partitioning?

Not possible with grub1 (legacy grub).
Grub1 doesn't support booting off LVM, so you'll have to have a separate
/boot partition.

If grub2 were available in CentOS 6 (and it isn't - rumors are maybe in
EL7) then it would be possible to have /boot reside on LVM.  Some time ago
I set up a system without a separate /boot partition on LVM with grub2
using Debian (I did the same with a Fedora system since).

I don't see an issue with having a separate statically sized /boot
partition.  100MB for CentOS 5 and 512MB or so for CentOS 6.  Besides, what
is on /boot that really needs to be backed up?  Probably not much of
anything that's different from any other system.

> --
> С уважением,
> Халезов Иван
> Системный администратор, отдел разработки ПО
> НП РТС

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //