[CentOS] intel

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Nov 25 18:24:45 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 9:54 AM, madunix at gmail.com wrote:
> I am in the process of getting multiple Desktops to run linuxfor Research
> and Development, at the moment am comparing the following intel chipset
> H81, Q87, Q77, H61...What is the difference?What would be best performance
> issue?

the ?8? chipsets are current, for the Haswell family processors (core
I?-4???).   The ?7? chips are for the prior Ivy Bridge, core i?-3???.
I believe the 6 is for the Sandy Bridge, a couple years ago, core i?-xxx
(3 digit numbers).   My Ivy Bridge Core I5-3670 is in a Z77 based
motherboard.

the Zxx chipsets are the top line, have the best performance, and most
ports and features.   The H and Q are budget/economy versions, with
fewer IO channels, lower performance.