[CentOS] died again

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Nov 25 18:28:56 UTC 2013

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>> I really do not know whether to hope you are correct.
>>> On one hand a new computer would be expensive.
>>> On the other, if it's something else,
>>> my diagnostic skills are clearly not up to the task.
>>>
>> What kind of m/b is this, and what are you running on it? We've had that
>> happen occasionally on the 48 and 64 core Penguins, which are all
>
> The computer is a DakTEch Freedom 4 P4 DDR System.
> The system board is a D865GBFL w/LAN,audio & video
> Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 800FSB
> I got it in 2006.
<snip>
It is getting long in the tooth. (I'm about to replace my m/b of the same
vintage at home.)

Interesting thought: if you go into the BIOS, there's no system event log,
is there? That's normally a server thing, but who knows....

I can't imagine how you killed a video card by installing a hard drive.

Next question: is the system in a room with HVAC? Have you tried opening
it up, and vacuuming dust out of the power supply and anywhere else (like
the video card)?

I remember seeing a picture online a few years ago, where someone cut open
a power supply, and found a lizard, too large to get out....

        mark