[CentOS] died again

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Tue Nov 26 18:31:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 11:34 -0600, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
> > Michael Hennebry wrote:
> >> Ouch.
> >> $200+ before installation,
> >> and I'd still have a computer some Linuxes don't like.
> >
> > Expensive board. Is this at home? I got a Gigabyte board and Core I-3
>
> Yes.  It's the only computer I've owned with
> either a hard drive or more than 8K of memory.
>
> I've used others.
>
> > combo at MicroCenter for under $200, I think. "Installation"? Hey, we're
> > sysadmins, we build our own systems! <g>
>
> What's this "we"?
> I've opened the case three times and done four things:
> I've installed a new hard drive.  The old one is still working.
> I've zapped the original video card, AGP.
> I've blown dust.
> I've had someone else install new RAM.
>
> When I get up the nerve to open it again,
> I'll blow dust and look for misplaced intestines.
>
> In the mean time, I'll boot back to CentOS and see how long it lasts.

You may want to check the bios for some settings. I recently fixed some
issues with my server system here at home (gen 1 i7 920) by turning ACPI
2.0 off. I first replaced the power supply but that did improve the
situation from disk errors once every day or 2 to once every 5 days.
Make sure you have the latest bios as well.