[CentOS] Odd problems with CR updates

Scott Robbins

scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 22:59:09 UTC 2013

As I've seen no mention of this anywhere, I've got to assume it's just me.

Doing some of the CR updates last night, google-chrome and firefox suddenly
stopped working with https pages, including google itself.  I was able to
downgrade, but wasn't sure exactly what had caused the problem.

Tonight, trying again, package by package, it seems that it's nss-softokn
that's causing the problem.  Has anyone run into something similar?
For example, if I upgrade to the CR version, then open chromium and type a
search phrase, I'll get  message that this web page not available.
Firefox is somewhat more informative,

----------
An error occurred during a connection
to www.google.com.

security library: invalid algorithm.

(Error code: sec_error_invalid_algorithm)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of
the received data could not be verified.
  Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken
site.
--------
This happens when I upgrade to nss-softokn.3.14.3-9.el6
When I downgrade to 3.14.3-3.el6_4 it's fine.
Has anyone else run into this?

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6