[CentOS] Story of an email

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Nov 29 13:23:52 UTC 2013

Patrick Lists wrote:

> On 11/28/2013 10:34 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I'm running postfix + dovecot on my CentOS server,
>> together with amavisd, clamd and spamassassin,
>> following the instructions in
>> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix>.
>> As far as I can see it is all working,
>> but I must admit I'm not clear exactly what path
>> an incoming email travels along.
>> I asked this question before, and someone suggested
>> a document I should read,
>> but unfortunately I've mislaid the note I made at the time.
>>
>> So if someone could enlighten me -
>> or point to a source of enlightenment -
>> I should be most grateful.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

I'm afraid this document only tells me about one small step on the journey.
It doesn't mention amavis, fetchmail or dovecot.
I run fetchmail (through cron.d) to collect email
from various email servers.
So the first step, I guess, is that fetchmail passes the email
through port 25 to the postfix sendmail emulator?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net