[CentOS] Story of an email

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 05:35:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why do you insist on calling it the "sendmail emulator"? Sendmail,
> postfix, exim and many others applications are merely servers that respond
> to and process emails according to the SMTP protocols. There's nothing
> special about sendmail except that it was one of the first and most
> widespread of mail servers.

Traditional unix programs expect to be able to pipe through an
executable named sendmail when they want to send mail.   Postfix
provides such an executable.    I don't know offhand if fetchmail
pipes through sendmail for local delivery or uses smtp protocol, but
if it runs an executable named sendmail that is not actually sendmail,
it seems reasonable to call that emulation.    Actually it seems
reasonable either way to me, but I suppose that's a matter of
opinion...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com