[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Mon Nov 4 17:41:31 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/4/2013 9:30 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Besides, if you have a problem with a truly humongous RAID, the rebuild
>> >will finish sometime around next summer....
> Yes, I'd probably use a RAID10 style RAID so it runs at full speed
> even with a drive out of the array so you can put off the rebuild
> until a weekend.   A rebuild will keep the heads too busy to do a lot
> of other work while it is running.

Using a common LSI Logic Megaraid card (9260-8i, I think, but don't
quote me), and 11 by 3TB raid6 with hotspares (using Seagate
Constellation.ES2 SAS2 drives), single drive failure rebuilds took 24
hours, double drive failures took 36 hours, this with the system online
but mostly idle the whole time.  yes, if you have steady user IO
activity going on the rebuild would take quite a bit longer, as it only
proceeds when the disks are idle.