[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Tue Nov 5 14:43:42 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>
>> wrote:
>>>>
>>> Can e.g. BackupPC handle several file systems to backup to?
>>> I.e. comp1 through 10 should backup to /bak1, comp 11 through 20 to
>>> /bak2 and so on.
>>
>> The main point of backuppc is that it hard-links all files with
>> identical content to save space, so it needs to put everything on one
>> filesystem.   However, I'm getting pretty good performance running it
> <snip>
> *shrug*
> So does rsync - we use hard links a *lot*, to keep 4-5 weeks of full
> nightly backups for a lot of servers.

No, rsync will only hardlink to instances of the same file in the same
location from previous runs.  Backuppc will link every file with
identical contents even from different machines and locations.  And it
compresses them.  So you could probably keep 2 to 10x the history
online compared to anything else.   Plus it has a nice web interface.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com