[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Tue Nov 5 16:06:45 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Have you tried backuppc?  There are some tradeoffs because it makes an
>> extra hardlink into a pool directory tree where the name is a hash of
>> the content, but it takes care of all the other stuff for you and
>> would let you store a much longer history, especially if there are
>> duplicate copies of any of the files spread around.
>
> I don't think that's going to happen. First, we have an in-house developed
> backup system that works just fine. Second, we *are* backup up something
> over a hundred servers and workstations to a few backup servers. Third, we
> are talking, in some cases, of terabytes....

I'm not quite at that scale in a single instance myself, but I'm
fairly sure many users on the backuppc mail list are, so it is not
necessarily a problem, although there are some tradeoffs with extra
overhead for compression and the extra pool hardlink.  In any case it
is trivial to install and test with the package in EPEL.  Even if it
doesn't replace your server backup system you might find it useful to
point at some workstations or windows boxes (it can use smb as well as
rsync or tar to gather the files).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com