[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Tue Nov 5 17:40:18 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Still not sounding like we need it. We back up /etc from all our servers
> (except for the compute cluster nodes every night, and keep about 5 weeks.
> Home directories are 100% NFS-mounted from servers, and those are backed
> up every night onto a handful of backup servers, as are various project
> directories.

Other ways work, of course - but typically they are much less
efficient than backuppc which would only need storage for one
compressed copy of each unique file in /etc regardless of the number
of hosts or backups saved, are harder to manage, and often lack
convenience features like being able to assign 'owners' to hosts that
get email if a host is not backed up for any reason for a specified
number of days or easily being able to control concurrency and the
backup window for individual targets.    And home-grown solutions
generally need someone who understands the code for support.  If
that's you, I suppose that is job security...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com