[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Tue Nov 5 22:42:12 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> And that's the other place that backuppc will help.  If you move a
>>> file that is already in an existing backup, backuppc's rsync will copy
>>> it over the network because it doesn't have a match in that location,
>>> but when it goes to add the compressed copy to the pool it will notice
>>> that there is already a file with identical content there and use a
>>> hardlink instead of needing additional space.
>>>
>> Um, but rsync will already do that.
>
> No, rsync itself will only do it when the identical file is still in
> the identical path from the identical host.

Unless you tell it a path to compare to - as I said, we point it to
<backupdirectory><smylinkg "latest">.

>> Anyway, when I mean move things, I meant whole backups to a less-full
drive, or the much rarer
>>> times that we need to move a user who's using a *large* amount of space.
>
> Backuppc will match up identical content, no matter where it finds it.
>  If it is a different copy or moved to a different location it does
> have to transfer it to the backuppc server, but then it will be
> discarded and replaced with a link to the existing pooled copy.

Right. Moving things, though, for us is manual, esp. since it can
sometimes take days (like the 700+G I've been trying to copy from a 3TB
drive that was defective to another that seems ok...)

      mark