[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Wed Nov 6 14:34:32 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> > Backuppc will match up identical content, no matter where it finds it.
>>>  If it is a different copy or moved to a different location it does
>>> have to transfer it to the backuppc server, but then it will be
>>> discarded and replaced with a link to the existing pooled copy.
>>
>> Right. Moving things, though, for us is manual, esp. since it can
>> sometimes take days (like the 700+G I've been trying to copy from a 3TB
>> drive that was defective to another that seems ok...)
>
> But even little automated things like logfile rotation can add up when
> you catch it across a bunch of noisy hosts.  You don't really need to
> store the whole contents of yesterday's messages.1 and today's
> messages.2 separately when they are the same thing, just renamed.

We don't back them up, except for /var/log on the central logging host.

But to return to the first para, there's no identical identical content.
There's similar content on development and prod servers for each team, but
that's not identical, so it's really not an issue.

     mark