[CentOS] Using CentOS Wordpress rpms

Tue Nov 12 10:44:03 UTC 2013
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.co.uk>

In article <5281CB8C.1000604 at winnetworks.com>,
Keith <squeeze at winnetworks.com> wrote:
> On 12/11/13 14:59, Max Pyziur wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I always install from the latest tarball from the WP site, as it's the
> >> latest at the time of installation. With regards to WP updates and
> >> versions, this is generally performed with it's own built in
> >> updating/upgrading mechanism which is the first thing you should check
> >> or do after install and on an ongoing basis - IMHO anyway.
> > Makes sense.
> >
> > So what are the point of having RPMs if you can't apply it server-wide
> > across multiple sites?
> >
> > MP
> >
> Not sure what you mean exactly by what's the point of having RPMs? If
> you have multiple servers/sites then you can still deploy WP via a RPM
> or package management or if you have that many servers you should be
> using config tools like Puppet, so you could deploy the latest via such
> a tool.
>
> But the same thing applies, you do the updating/upgrading of WP via the
> WP web-console, or at least you will need to at some stage. I think the
> latest version offers an automated security update feature now anyway.

I don't know the answer, but I think I at least understand the question:

- how does the RPM of WP apply in a virtual-hosting environment? Or is
  it only applicable to a single site stored in /var/www/html?

- In the tarball mode of installation, each site in a vhosting system
  would have its own complete copy of WP within its own document root.
  Is it possible still to make use of the RPM instead, in this setup?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield