[CentOS] died again

Tue Nov 26 17:58:04 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>> It is getting long in the tooth. (I'm about to replace my m/b of the same
>> vintage at home.)
>
> Ouch.
> $200+ before installation,
> and I'd still have a computer some Linuxes don't like.

Yeah, probably better to get something that is likely to run for 10
more years than to squeeze another year out of something old.

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> I've seen a machine where it took 3+ days of running memtest86 to
>> catch the error.  And then after replacing the RAM, the machine still
>
> Clean bill from memtest86 running overnight.

Like I said, I had one that ran clean for 3 days, then caught the
intermittent RAM error that was causing the problem.  But, if I hadn't
already had a pile of similar RAM to swap in, I would probably have
been ahead to trash the old box anyway.   It just happened to be the
only large tower case I had with an 8 port SATA controller and room
for a lot of disks and I like using it for backups.

> The memory is the newest part of the computer.
> After rebooting, it crapped out twice in half an hour.
> After that, I went back to F14.

Are you saying it never crashes with fedora but it does with centos?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com