[CentOS] died again

Wed Nov 27 00:22:43 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, right, *just* as I hit <send>, I realized one more thing: you have
>>> checked both ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, right?
>>
>> I'd looked at .../Xorg.0.log , but until now, not ~/.xsession-errors :
> <snip>
>> (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2815): GLib-CRITICAL **:
>> g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
>> (null):  Warning no default label for /home/hennebry/.gvfs
> <snip>
> WAIT ONE MINUTE: "no default label"? Please give us the results of
> $ getenforce<enter>

[hennebry at localhost Desktop]$ getenforce
Enforcing

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, Louis Lagendijk wrote:

> You may want to check the bios for some settings. I recently fixed some
> issues with my server system here at home (gen 1 i7 920) by turning ACPI
> 2.0 off. I first replaced the power supply but that did improve the
> situation from disk errors once every day or 2 to once every 5 days.
> Make sure you have the latest bios as well.

ACPI, but not ACPI 2.0?
I'll see what the BIOS claims next time I reboot.

Not at all sure how to update the BIOS.
Don't even know whether my machine has a mechanism for updating the BIOS.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily