[CentOS] Old hardware, newer kernels

Sat Nov 30 14:42:58 UTC 2013
Andrew Holway <andrew.holway at gmail.com>

Unless you are just running some home server or something the general
idea of servers is to provide uptime. Servers usually start dying
after about 3 to 6 years* and, if you are trying to provide uptime,
searching around on ebay for someone that has a PATA hard drive, DDR
memory or some ancient pcix controller will severely dent this
objective.

I agree that its a shame that so much of this ends up in landfill. The
fact that chassis are not normally immediately reusable is a tragedy
in my eyes but running old, junk equipment is even more of a tragedy
when it breaks and people are relying on it.

*I work a lot in HPC where servers are hammered to death.