[CentOS] CentOS6.4 and Apple keyboard

Fri Oct 11 13:48:50 UTC 2013
Patrick Bégou <Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr>

Hi John,

I'm working from home today so I've ask the phd student to launch a PXE
boot for a new full kikstart install with a PC keyboard and then try to
configure the apple keyboard by hand. See the answers to your questions
below.

John Doe a écrit :
> From: Patrick Bégou <Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr>
>
>> I have just installed (with kikstart) centOS6.4 on a PC which was
>> previously running OpenSUSE (11.x).
>> This PC has an apple keyboard and I'm unable to setup this keyboard.
>> In .xsession-errors I get this messages :
>>
>> Error:            No Symbols named "latin9" in the include file
>> "macintosh_vndr/fr"
>>                     Exiting
>>                     Abandoning symbols file "(null)"
>>
>> ** (gnome-settings-daemon:8160): WARNING **: Could not activate the XKB
>> configuration
>> Error:            No Symbols named "latin9" in the include file
>> "macintosh_vndr/fr"
>>                     Exiting
>>                     Abandoning symbols file "(null)"
>>
>> ** (gnome-settings-daemon:8160): WARNING **: Could not activate the XKB
>> configuration
> What do you have in these files?
The PC is re-installed  with a standard keyboard this morning and I have
now:
>    /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
KEYTABLE="fr-latin9"
MODEL="pc105"
LAYOUT="fr"
KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
VARIANT="latin9"
>    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Doesn't exist
>    /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*
Empty directory

> Maybe retry system-setup-keyboard?
It was the idea this morning: restart with a fresh install and a
standard pc keyboard and switch to the apple one after. But when
selecting the apple keyboard in system-setup-keyboard menu I get:

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
CentOS
11300000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

So it is possible to work on the PC with the standard french PC keyboard
but still not possible to use the apple keyboard.

Patrick