[CentOS] Weird netinstall issue

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Oct 1 07:20:00 UTC 2013

On 9/30/2013 11:49 PM, g wrote:
> 1st, i would not consider a net install unless i was protected by
> going thru a good firewall server.

a DHCP/PXE server isnt going to reply to internet queries, and your TFTP
server should be restricted to local addresses only, this pretty much
secures a netinstall.    the rest?  I use a http server with a copy of
the OS mirror, who cares if the internet can see it?

> as for 'no CD in drive', possible reason is something is being
> picked off cd and drive is slow waking up and install is not
> allowing enough time.

indeed, the 'minimal' install ISO is hardly any bigger than the
netinstall ISO, and is less hassle... after doing the minimal install,
you can `yum groupinstall` anything else you need.  The only time I use
netinstall is when I'm doing a full jumpstart/kickstart style install
via PXE.