[CentOS] "Enterprise Class Hard Drive" - Scam Warning

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 15:36:15 UTC 2013

From: Steve Brooks <steveb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk>

> I ordered three new "Enterprise hard drives" this month from a well
> known
> UK online retailer. The drives arrived as new in their anti-static
> packaging. Before using one of the drives in a mission critical hardware
> raid I checked the SMART attributes and was amazed at what I saw; see a
> few of the attributes listed below

There's also the grey area of the "like new", refurbished (by the manufacturer,
or even the vendor), etc... especially on ebay.

When I did some server support for a big name, I learned that all the (very expensive)
repair parts they sold to clients whose equipment was out of warranty were
all refurbished parts (from other clients).

JD